Vimal Kumar Associate professor email@example.com 1332-285694
Areas of Interest
- Heat Transfer, Single and Multiphase flow, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Bio-oil from renewable feedstocks
|2009-01-01||2 years||Post-Doctoral Fellow||Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canda|
|2007-01-01||2 years||Research Engineer||Dow Chemicals India Pvt. Ltd., Research & Development, Pune, Maharashtra, India|
|PhD||Chemical Engineering||Indian Institue of Technology Delhi||2008|
|M.Tech.||Chemical Engineering||Indian Institue of Technology Delhi||2002|
|B.Tech.||Chemical Engineering||Calicut University, GEC Thrissur||1999|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|A study on oil–in–water emulsion flow through porous media||DST-SERB||2016-01||4 years 7 months|
|Flow of Emulsion through Porous Media||IIChE Research Project Award||2014-01||6 years 7 months|
- The Institution of Engineers (INDIA), Member
- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, Life Member
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Computer Applications in Chemical Engineering||CHN-323||3rd year Undergraduate||Autumn|
|Fluidization Engineering||CHN-326||3rd Year Undergraduate||Spring|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||BTN-671||Postgraduate||Spring|
Research Scholar Groups
|Dr. Desavath V. Naik||Process Engineering; Upgrading of pyrolysis oil with VGO in FCC unit; FCC catalyst evaluation|
|Dr. Partha Kundu||Colloid & Interface Science, Optimization, CFD, Modelling & Simulation, Rheology|
|Dr. Hemant Kumar||Colloid & Interface Science; Nano-emulsions; Rheology|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Coprocessing of Pyrolysis Oil with VGO in FCC unit to Produce LPG and Gasoline||Mr. D.V. Naik||A||2015-07|
|Flow of Emulsion through porous Media||Mr. Partha Kundu||A||2011-07|
|Preparation and Characterization of Water-in-Oil (W/O) Nanoemulsion||Mr. Hemant Kumar||O||2014-07|
|Mass Transfer Aspects of Cell Culture in a Bioreactor||Mr. Sohail Lone||O||2014-12|
|Hydrodynamics and Mixing Studies in Rotor Stator Mixer for Viscous Fluids||Mr. Vikash||O||2015-12|
|Multiphase Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Curved Tubes||Naveen Kushwaha||O||2017-07|
|Synthesis and Characterization of Ultra High Temperature Ceramics Based Composites||Johnson Frank Guria||O||2017-07|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Multiphase Flow in Miniature Systems: Flow Modelling & Applications||AICTE||2018-01|
|Chemical Micro Process Engineering: Flow Modelling & Application||AICTE||2016-01|
BOOK CHAPTERS (Since 2011)
- Silori G, Kushwaha N, Kumar V, 2018. Essential oils from pines: Chemistry and applications. Edited by Malik S. Essential Oil Research, Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd., pages 275–297.
- Kumar H, Shukla MK, Kumar V, 2018. Enhancing combustion properties and improving emission char-acteristics: W/D nano-emulsions fuels for diesel engines. Published in "Prospects of Alternative Transportation Fuels" Edited by Singh AP, Dhar A, Agarwal RA, Shukla MK, Agarwal AK, Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd., pages 299-342.
- Naik DV, Prasad B, Kumar V, 2018. Pyrolysis Oil Upgrading to Fuels by Catalytic Cracking: A Refinery Perspective. Published in "Prospects of Alternative Transportation Fuels" Edited by Singh AP, Dhar A, Agarwal RA, Shukla MK, Agarwal AK, Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd., pages 269-295.
Refereed Journal Papers
List of publications (since 2011)
- Vikash V, Nigam KDP, Kumar V, 2021. Design and Development of High Shear Mixers: Fundamentals, Applications and Recent Progress. Chemical Engineering Science, 116296 (accepted).
- Guria JF, Bansal A, Kumar V, 2021. Effect of additives on the thermal conductivity of zirconium diboride based composites – A review. Journal of the European Ceramic Society, 41(1), 1-23. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeurceramsoc.2020.08.051)
- Lone SR, Kumar V, Seay JR, Englert D, Hwang HT, 2020. Mass Transfer and Rheological Characteristics in a Stirred Tank Bioreactor for Cultivation of Escherichia coli BL21. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, 25(5), 766-776. (https://doi.org/10.1007/s12257-020-0028-3)
- Kushwaha N, Kumawat, TC, Nigam, KDP, Kumar, V, 2020. Transfer and fluid flow characteristics for Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids in a tube-in-tube helical coil heat exchanger. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research, 59(9), 3972–3984. (Special issue: Characterization and Applications of Fluidic Devices without Moving Parts) (https://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.iecr.9b07044).
- Vikash, Kumar, V, 2020. Ultrasonic-assisted de-agglomeration and power draw characterization of silica nanoparticles, 65, 105061. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2020.105061).
- Kumar H, Kumar V, 2019. Ultrasound-assisted synthesis of water-in-oil nanoemulsions: Parametric optimization using hybrid ANN-GA approach. Chemical Engineering Processing: Process Intensification, 144, 107649. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2019.107649).
- Vikash, Kumar, V, 2019. Turbulent statistics of flow fields using large-eddy simulations in batch high shear mixers. Chemical Engineering Research & Design, 147, 561-569.(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2019.05.045).
- Kushwaha N, Vikash, Kumar, V, 2019. Impact of Mixed Convective and Radiative Heat Transfer in Spiral Coiled-Tubes. Journal of Heat Transfer, 141(8) 081001. (https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4043946).
- Kundu P, Kumar V, Mishra IM, 2019. Synergistic influence of pH and temperature on the rheological behavior of adhesive emulsions stabilized with micelle dispersion of anionic surfactant. Journal of Surfactants and Detergents 22(2), 301–313 (https://doi.org/10.1002/jsde.12220).
- Kundu P, Kumar V, Mishra IM, 2019. Experimentally study the rheological behavior of oil-in-water emulsions in unconsolidated porous media: Effect of particle size and phase volume fractions. Powder Technology 343, 821–833 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2018.11.084).
- Kumar H, Kumar V, 2018. Ultrasonication assisted formation and stability of water-in-oil nanoemulsions: Optimization and ternary diagram analysis. Ultrasonication Sonochemistry, 49(4), 79–88 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2018.07.022).
- Shah MA, Khan MNS, Kumar V, 2018. Biomass residue characterization for their potential application as biofuels, Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry (accepted) (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-7560-9).
- Lone SR, Kumar V, Seay JR, Englert D, Hwang HT, 2018. Evaluation of volumetric mass transfer coefficient in a stirred tank bioreactor using response surface methodology. Environment Progress & Sustainable Energy 38(2), 387–401 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ep.
- Kumar, H., Kumar V, 2018. Preparation of water-in-diesel oil nanoemulsion using non-ionic surfactants with enhanced stability. Journal of Dispersion of Science and Technology, 39(4), 560-570. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01932691.2017.1336451).
- Vikash, Deshawar D, Kumar V, 2017. Hydrodynamics and mixing characterization in a novel high shear mixer. Chemical Engineering and Processing : Process Intensification, 120, 57-67. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2017.06.008).
- Kundu P, Kumar V, Mishra IM, 2017. Study of visco-electric effect on stability and rheological behaviour of surfactant stabilized emulsions. Journal of Dispersion of Science and Technology, 39(3), 384-394. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01932691.2017.1320668).
- Naik, D.V., Karthik, V., Kumar, V., Prasad, B., Garg, M.O., 2017. Kinetic modeling for catalytic Cracking of pyrolysis oils with VGO in a FCC unit. Chemical Engineering Science, 170, 790-798. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2017.01.048).
- Kumar, V., Vikash, Nigam, K.D.P., 2017. Multiphase fluid flow and heat transfer characteristics in Minichannels. Chemical Engineering Science (Accepted on January 09, 2017; http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2017.01.018).
- Kundu, P., Kumar, V., Mishra, I.M., 2016. Experimental and numerical investigation of fluid flow hydrodynamics in porous media: Characterization of Darcy and non-Darcy flow regimes. Powder Technology, 303, 278-291 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2016.09.037).
- Kundu, P., Kumar, V., Hoarau, Y., Mishra, I.M., 2016. Numerical simulation and analysis of fluid flow hydrodynamics through a structured array of circular cylinders forming porous medium. Applied Mathematical Modelling, 40(23-24), 9848-9871 (doi:10.1016/j.apm.2016.06.043).
- Kundu, P., Paul, V., Kumar, V., Mishra, I.M., 2015. Formulation development, Modeling and optimization of emulsification process using evolving RSM assisted hybrid ANNGA framework. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 104, 773–790.
- Kundu, P., Kumar, V., Mishra, I.M., 2015. Modelling the rheological behavior of dilute to highly concentrated oil–in–water (o/w) emulsions: Effect of temperature, oil volume fraction and anionic surfactant concentration. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering, 129, 189–204.
- Naik, D.V., Kumar, V., Prasad, B., Poddar, M.K., Bal, R., Behera, B., Khatri, O.P., Adhikari, D.K., Garg, M.O., 2015. Catalytic Cracking of jatropha–derived fast pyrolysis oils with VGO and their NMR characterization. Royal Society of Chemistry Advances, 5, 398–409.
- Naik, D.V., Kumar, V., Prasad, B., Behera, B., Atheya, N., Adhikari, D.K., Nigam, K.D.P., Garg, M.O., 2014. Catalytic Cracking of C2-C3 Carbonyls with Vacuum Gas Oil. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research, 53(49), 18816–18823.
- Kundu, P., Kumar, V., Mishra, I.M., 2014. Numerical modelling of turbulent flow through isotropic porous media. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 75, 40-57.
- Naik, D.V., Kumar, V., Prasad, B., Behera, B., Atheya, N., Singh, K.K., Adhikari, D.K., Garg, M.O., 2014. Catalytic cracking of pyrolysis oil oxygenates (aliphatic and aromatic) with vacuum gas oil and their characterization. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 92, 1579-1590.
- Naik, D.V., Kumar, V., Prasad, B., Behera, B., Singh, K.K., Bangwal, D.P., Atheya, N., Garg, M.O., 2014. Catalytic Cracking of Glycerol to Fine Chemicals over Equilibrium Fluid Catalytic Cracking Catalyst, Energy Procedia, 54, 593-598, 2014c.
- Tajallipur, N., Kumar, V., Paraschivoiu, M., 2013. Large Eddy Simulations of a Compressible Free Jet Flow on Unstructured Elements. International Journal of Numerical Methods in Heat and Fluid Flow, 23(2).
- Kumar, V., Nigam K.D.P., 2012. Process Intensification in Green Synthesis. Green Processing and Synthesis, 1(1), 79–107.
- Kumar, V., Paraschivoiu, M., Nigam, K.D.P., 2011. Single phase fluid flow and mixing in microchannels. Chemical Engineering Science, 66, 1329–1373.
(Total research articles: 46)