Areas of Interest
- Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Energy & Fuels., Separation, Catalysis, Pollution Abatement, CO2 utilization, Fuels, Nano-materials, Desulfurization.
|2006-03-01||1 year 1 month 1 day||Assistant Professor||Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi (now IIT-BHU)|
|2007-04-03||7 years||Assistant Professor||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2014-04-04||5 years 8 months 12 days||Associate Professor||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2019-12-17||Ongoing||Professor||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2019-04-03||Ongoing||Coordinator||Continuing Education Centre & QIP|
|2020-03-01||Ongoing||Chairperson, Department Research Committee (DRC)||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2011-01-01||2 years||Warden||Khosla International House|
|2012-01-01||6 years||Member||IPR Cell|
|2012-01-01||6 years||Member, Executive Committee||The Institution of Engineers (India), Roorkee Local Centre|
|2014-01-01||5 years||O.C., Training and Placement||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2009-01-01||9 years||O.C., Annual, BOG, Convocation and other related reports||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||Ongoing||O.C., Pollution Abatement Research Laboratory||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2013-07-01||1 year 8 months||Superintendent, Examination||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2016-01-01||2 years||Member, Department Administrative Committee||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2009-01-01||5 years||Faculty Advisor, ChESS (Chemical Engineering Students Society)||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2011-01-01||3 years||Faculty Advisor, IIChE Student Chapter||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
|2009-01-01||5 years||O.C., Mass Transfer Undergraduate Laboratory||Dept. of Chemical Engg., IIT Roorkee|
Honors and Awards
|Prosper.Net-Scopus Young Researcher Award 2010 - First Runner-up Prize||SCOPUS, United Nations University and International Bureau of the BMBF||2010|
|"INSA Medal for Young Scientist" in 'Engineering & Technology' category||Indian National Science Academy (INSA)||2012|
|INAE Young Engineer Award||Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE)||2012|
|IEI Young Engineer Award||Institution of Engineers India (IEI)||2013|
|INAE Young Associate||Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE)||2013|
|Amar Dye-Chem Award||Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers (IIChE)||2013|
|Member||The National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI)||2014|
|Outstanding Young Faculty Award (with Institute Research Fellowship).||IIT Roorkee||2017|
|Sisir Kumar Mitra Memorial Award||Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers (IIChE)||2018|
|NASI-Scopus Young Scientist Awards 2018||The National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI); Elsevier & Scopus||2018|
|CSIR-NEERI Chemcon Distinguished Speaker (CDS) award||Indian Institution of Chemical Engineers (IIChE)||2019|
|B.E.||Chemical Engineering||CCS University, Meerut||2001|
|M.Tech.||Chemical Engineering||IIT Roorkee||2003|
|PhD||Chemical Engineering||IIT Roorkee||2006|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Engineering aspects of methanol and carbon-di-oxide conversion to dimethyl carbonate.||DST-SERB||2018-03-12||Ongoing|
|Process development and wastewater management in petrochemical industries.||Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals (DCPC), New Delhi||2019-03-28||Ongoing|
|Determination of fluorinated aromatic carboxylic acids in aqueous reservoir fluids.||ONGC||2017-12-01||Ongoing|
|High ash coal gasification and associated upstream and downstream processes (Coal to Chemicals- CTC).||Coal India Limited.||2017-07-01||3 years|
|Catalytic oxidation of nitrogenous aromatic compounds bearing wastewater.||Department of Science & Technology, GoI||2014-06-01||3 years|
|Oxidative desulfurization of liquid fuels.||Indian National Science Academy (INSA)||2012-09-01||3 years|
|Electrochemical treatment of textile industry wastewater.||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi.||2010-08-01||3 years|
|Treatment of petroleum refinery wastewater in sequencing batch reactor.||Ministry of Environment and Forest, GoI||2009-07-01||3 years|
|Ultra-deep desulfurization of diesel.||IIT Roorkee, FIG Grant||2007-09-01||3 years 6 months|
- Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE), Associate Member (Awarded by INAE))
- The National Academy of Sciences, India (NASI), Life Member
- Institution of Engineers, India, Fellow
- International Congress of Chemistry & Environment, Fellow Member
- American Chemical Society (ACS), Member (by Invitation)
- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, Life Member
- The Indian Science Congress Association, Life Member
- Indian Society for Electro-Analytical Chemistry (ISEAC), Life Member
- The Biotech Research Society, India (BRSI), Life Member
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Multicomponent adsorption of phenolic compounds from aqueous solution.||S. Suresh||A||2007-07-15|
|Dairy wastewater treatment by physico-chemical methods and sequential batch reactor.||Jai Prakash Kushwaha||A||2008-07-15|
|Studies on the development of zirconia based adsorbents/catalysts for liquid fuel desulfurization.||Sachin Kumar||A||2008-07-15|
|Catalytic wet peroxidation of nitrogenous aromatic compounds.||V. Subbaramaiah||A||2010-07-20|
|Electrochemical treatment of textile industry wastewater.||Seema Singh||A||2011-01-03|
|Synthesis and characterization of catalysts for dimethyl carbonate production.||Praveen Kumar||A||2011-01-03|
|Fire and explosion analysis during handling of LPG and LNG.||Nilamber Bariah||A||2011-01-03|
|Removal of nitrogenous heterocyclic compounds from aqueous solution.||Hivarkar Ajay Devidas||A||2011-07-18|
|Adsorptive desulfurization and denitrogenation by metal impregnated activated carbon.||Thaligari Sandeep Kumar||A||2011-07-18|
|Thermo-chemical modifications of teff straw for chromium removal from aqueous solution.||Abrham Bayeh Wassie||A||2012-07-30|
|Studies on solvent extractive desulfurization of gas oil.||Sunil Kumar||A||2012-12-26|
|Synthesis of alkyl carbonates using mixed-oxide catalysts.||Kartikeya Shukla||A||2014-07-22|
|Valorization of waste biomass by thermal-degradation for various applications.||Tanveer Rasool||A||2015-02-09|
|Synthesis of nanostructured metal oxides and their application in environmental remediation.||Vijay Alwera||O||2014-07-09|
|Novel synthesis of graphene oxide and its composites for dimethyl carbonate production.||Navneet Kumar||O||2015-07-11|
|Utilization of industrial wastes for various applications.||Vikas Singh||O||2016-12-26|
|Treatment of refractory organic wastewater by electrochemical method.||Rohit Chauhan||O||2017-07-07|
|Conversion of waste gases into chemicals.||Shailesh Pandey||O||2017-12-26|
|Desulfurization of liquid fuels.||Naushad Khan||O||2017-12-26|
|Treatment of toxic industrial wastewaters by combined advanced oxidation technologies.||Ritesh Patidar||O||2018-07-15|
|Engineering aspects of methanol and carbon-di-oxide conversion to dimethyl carbonate.||Surbhi Dahiya||O||2018-07-16|
|Multi-component adsorption of gases||Sarvesh Namdev||O||2018-12-26|
|Engineering aspects of propylene upgradation||Pankaj Kumar||O||2019-07-16|
|Synthesis of polyurethane||Ishwar Sharan||O||2019-07-16|
|Synthesis of propylene carbonate||Anag Katiyar||O||2019-07-16|
|Management of Hazardous Waste||Santosh Kumar Singh||O||2020-08-16|
|Synthesis of materials for energy applications||Deepika Yadav||O||2020-08-16|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|"Operation and maintenance of sophisticated instruments like GC-MS/GC, HPLC, CHNS and AOX analyzer"||Central Pollution Control Board, India||2010-02|
|"Hazardous waste, battery waste & E-waste management"||AICTE||2012-06|
|"Monitoring & analysis of VOCs in water & wastewater, ambient air and emissions"||Central Pollution Control Board, India||2013-01|
|"Environmental health and safety management in process industries"||Central Pollution Control Board, India||2014-11|
|"Nanotechnology: basics and applications in chemical engineering"||AICTE||2015-06|
|"Recent trends in environmental monitoring & control in petroleum & petrochemical industries"||Central Pollution Control Board, India||2015-11|
|"Green chemistry for cleaner technology"||AICTE||2017-01|
|"Cleaner Production Technologies – Practical Aspects"||Central Pollution Control Board, India||2017-02|
|"Nanotechnology: basics and bio-chemical applications"||AICTE||2018-06|
|"Hands-on Training on Nanobiotechnology"||Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP)||2019-06|
|"Environmental management in tanneries, sponge iron plants, slaughter house, pharma & chemical sector"||Central Pollution Control Board, India||2020-01|
CITATIONS (as on October 15, 2020)
|Citation Agency||No. of Citations||h-index||URL|
|Web of Knowledge||9150||44||https://publons.com/researcher/1442249/vimal-chandra-srivastava/|
International (SCI Impact-factor) Journals
Other (Non-SCI) Journals
BEST PAPERS IN DIFFERENT RESEARCH AREAS
 Alternative Fuel (Organic Carbonate) Synthesis
Kumar P, Srivastava VC, Mishra IM. Dimethyl carbonate synthesis by transesterification of propylene carbonate with methanol: Comparative assessment of Ce-M (M=Co, Fe, Cu and Zn) catalysts. Renewable Energy 88 (2016) 457–464.
Shukla K, Srivastava VC. Diethyl carbonate synthesis by ethanolysis of urea using Ce-Zn oxide catalysts. Fuel Processing and Technology 161 (2017) 116–124.
Kumar P, Srivastava VC, Mishra IM. Synthesis and characterization of Ce–La oxides for formation of dimethyl carbonate by transesterification of propylene carbonate. Catalysis Communications 60 (2015) 27–31.
Yasir A, Shukla K, Srivastava VC. Synthesis of propylene carbonate from propane-1,2-diol and urea using hydrotalcite-derived catalysts. Energy & Fuels 31 (2017) 9890−9897.
Shukla K, Srivastava VC. Efficient synthesis of diethyl carbonate from propylene carbonate and ethanol using Mg-La catalysts: Characterization, parametric and thermodynamic analysis. Industrial Engineering Chemistry Research 57(38) (2018) 12726–12735.
Kumar P, Matoha L, Srivastava VC, Štangar UL. Synthesis of zinc/ferrocyanide nano-composite catalysts having a high activity for transesterification reaction. Renewable Energy 148 (2020) 946-952.
 Desulfurization of Liquid Fuels
Srivastav A, Srivastava VC. Adsorptive desulfurization by activated alumina. Journal of Hazardous Materials 170 (2009) 1133-1140.
Srivastava VC. An evaluation of desulfurization technologies for sulfur removal from liquid fuels. RSC Advances 2 (2012) 759–783.
Kumar S, Srivastava VC, Badoni RP. Oxidative desulfurization by chromium promoted sulfated zirconia. Fuel Processing and Technology 93 (2012) 18–25.
Kumar S, Srivastava VC, Nanoti SM, Kumar A. Solvent evaluation for desulfurization and denitrification of gas oil using performance and industrial usability indices. AIChE Journal 61(7) (2015) 2257-2267.
Kumar S, Srivastava VC, Raghuvanshi R, Nanoti SM, Sudhir N. Removal of refractive sulfur and aromatic compounds from straight run, FCC and coker gas oil using N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone (NMP) in batch and packed bed extractor. Energy & Fuels 29(7) (2015) 4634–4643.
 Multi-component Adsorption
Srivastava VC, Mall ID, Mishra IM. Multi-component adsorption study of metal ions onto bagasse fly ash using Taguchi’s design of experimental methodology. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 46 (2007) 5697-5706.
Srivastava VC, Mall ID, Mishra IM. Antagonistic competitive equilibrium modeling for the adsorption of ternary metal ions mixtures onto bagasse fly ash. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 47(9) (2008) 3129-3137.
Jadhav AJ, Srivastava VC, Adsorbed solution theory based modeling of binary adsorption of nitrobenzene, aniline and phenol onto granulated activated carbon. Chemical Engineering Journal 229 (2013) 450–459.
Jadhav AJ, Srivastava VC. Multicomponent adsorption isotherm modeling using thermodynamically inconsistent and consistent models. AIChE Journal 65(11) (2019) e16727.
Midda MO, Srivastava VC, Kushwaha JP. Optimizing experimental binary adsorption of aniline–nitrobenzene onto granular activated carbon packed bed by Taguchi’s methodology. Journal of Water Process Engineering DOI: 10.1016/j.jwpe.2019.101045.
 Industrial Wastewater Treatment
Srivastava VC, Mall ID, Mishra IM. Treatment of pulp and paper mill wastewaters with poly aluminium chloride and bagasse fly ash. Colloids and Surfaces, A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects 260 (2005) 17-28.
Kushwaha JP, Srivastava VC, Mall ID. Treatment of dairy wastewater by inorganic coagulants: parametric and disposal studies. Water Research 44 (2010) 5867-5874.
Singh S, Srivastava VC, Mall ID. Mechanism of dye degradation during electrochemical treatment. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 117 (29) (2013) 15229–15240.
Subbaramaiah V, Srivastava VC, Mall ID. Catalytic activity of Cu/SBA-15 for peroxidation of pyridine bearing wastewater at atmospheric condition. AIChE Journal 59(7) (2013) 2577-2586.
Goyal A, Srivastava VC. Treatment of highly acidic wastewater containing high energetic compounds using dimensionally stable anode. Chemical Engineering Journal 325 (2017) 289–299.
Patidar R, Srivastava VC. Mechanistic and kinetic insights of synergistic mineralization of ofloxacin using a sono-photo hybrid process. Chemical Engineering Journal 403 (2021) 125736.
Chauhan R, Srivastava VC. Superior reduction of nitrate with simultaneous oxidation of intermediates and enhanced nitrogen gas selectivity via novel electrochemical treatment. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 147 (2021) 245–258.
 Disposal and Utilization of Industrial & Agricultural Wastes
Singh S, Srivastava VC, Mandal TK, Mall ID. Synthesis of different crystallographic Al2O3 nanomaterials from solid waste for application in dye degradation. RSC Advances 4 (2014) 50801-50810.
Singh S, Srivastava VC, Mandal TK, Mall ID, Lo SL. Synthesis and application of green mixed-metal oxide nano-composite materials from solid waste for dye degradation. Journal of Environmental Management 181 (2016) 146-156.
Rasool T, Srivastava VC, Khan MNS. Utilisation of a waste biomass, walnut shells, to produce bio-products via pyrolysis: investigation using iso-conversional and neural network methods. Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery 8(3) (2018) 647–657.
Bageru AB, Srivastava VC. Preparation and characterisation of biosilica from teff (Eragrostis tef) straw by thermal method. Materials Letters 206 (2017) 13–17.
Singh V, Srivastava VC. Self-engineered iron oxide nanoparticle incorporated on mesoporous biochar derived from textile mill sludge for the removal of an emerging pharmaceutical pollutant. Environmental Pollution 259 (2020) 113822 (1-9).
- Srivastava VC, Kumar N. A one pot, two-step electrochemical method for the synthesis of graphene oxide and graphene oxide metal composite. Indian Patent application no. 201911026565 dated July 03, 2019.
- Srivastava VC, Chauhan R. A system and method of simultaneous denitrification and oxidation of industrial wastewaters. Indian Patent application no. 201911046517 dated November 15, 2019.
- Srivastava VC, Kumar N. Continuous flow ultraviolet light illuminated disinfection system for common accessories in public places. Indian Patent filing in Process. Indian Patent application no. 202011028601 dated July 06, 2020.
Book Chapters & Review Papers Authored
- Srivastava VC, Suresh S, Mishra IM. Oxygen mass transfer in bioreactors. In “Comprehensive Biotechnology: 2nd Edition” Murray Moo-Young (Editor). “Volume 2: Engineering Fundamentals in Biotechnology” Volume Editor: Colin Webb. Published by Elsevier (2011) pp. 947–956.
- Potti PR, Srivastava VC. Effect of dopants on ZnO mediated photocatalysis of dye bearing wastewater: A Review. In “Engineering Applications of Nanoscience and Nanomaterials” Materials Science Forum Vol. 757 (2013) pp. 165-174. Published by Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- Srivastava VC, Mall I.D. Cleaner technologies for chemical process industries. In “Environmental Science and Engineering: Selected Topics”. SN Kaul, BN Rai, DR Saini, YC Sharma (Editors). (2013) Published by Daya Publishing House, Delhi, India. (ISBN: 9788170358114)
- Singh S, Srivastava VC, Lo SL. Surface modification or doping of WO3 for enhancing the photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutant containing wastewaters: A Review. In “Photocatalytic Materials & Surfaces for Environmental Cleanup-IV” Rajesh J Tayade (Editor). Materials Science Forum, Vol. 855 (2016) pp. 105-126. Published by Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- Das S, Srivastava VC. Microfluidic-based photocatalytic microreactor for environmental application: A review of fabrication substrates and techniques, and operating parameters. In “Photocatalytic Materials & Surfaces for Environmental Cleanup-IV” Rajesh J Tayade (Editor). Materials Science Forum, Vol. 855 (2016) pp. 156-167. Published by Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland.
- Suresh S, Srivastava VC, Sakthivel S, Arisutha S. Kinetic Modeling of Ethanol Production for Substrate–Microbe System. In “Biorefining of Biomass to Biofuels”. S Kumar, RK Sani (Editors). Published by Springer International Publishing in the Series “Biofuel and Biorefinery Technologies” (2018), 4, 361-372.
- Chauhan R, Srivastava VC. Advances in electrocatalyst for ethanol electro-oxidation. In “Nanomaterials for Alcohol Fuel Cells”. Inamuddin, TA Rangreez, F Sen, AM Asiri (Editors). Materials Research Foundations, Vol. 49, (2019) pp 293-320. https://doi.org/10.21741/9781644900192-10.
- Kumar N, Srivastava VC. Glycerol as green solvent in organic reactions. In “Industrial Applications of Green Solvents”. Inamuddin, RM Mobin, AM Asiri (Editors). Materials Research Foundations, Vol. 54, (2019) pp 202-223. https://doi.org/10.21741/9781644900314-9.
- Chauhan R, Srivastava VC. Electro-reduction process for denitrification of wastewater. In “Inorganic Water Pollutants”. Pooja, P Singh, SK Kansal (Editors). Published by Elsevier (2020) 297-314.
- Suresh S, Srivastava VC, Mishra IM. Critical analysis of engineering aspects of shaken flask bioreactors. Critical Reviews in Biotechnology 29(4) (2009) 255-278.
- Suresh S, Srivastava VC, Mishra IM. Techniques for oxygen transfer measurement in bioreactors: a review. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 84(8) (2009) 1091–1103.
- Kushwaha JP, Srivastava VC, Mall ID. An overview of various technologies for the treatment of dairy wastewaters. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 51(5) (2011) 442-452.
- Srivastava VC. An evaluation of desulfurization technologies for sulfur removal from liquid fuels. RSC Advances 2 (2012) 759–783.
- Shukla K, Srivastava VC. Diethyl carbonate: critical review of synthesis routes, catalysts used and engineering aspects. RSC Advances 6 (2016) 32624–32645.
- Shukla K, Srivastava VC. Synthesis of organic carbonates from alcoholysis of urea: a review. Catalysis Reviews Science and Engineering 59(1) (2017) 1-43.
- Kumar S, Srivastava VC, Nanoti SM. Extractive desulfurization of gas oils: A perspective review for use in the petroleum refineries. Separation & Purification Reviews 46(4) (2017) 319-347.
- Bariha N, Srivastava VC, Mishra IM. Theoretical and experimental studies on hazard analysis of LPG/LNG release: A review. Reviews in Chemical Engineering 33(4) (2017) 387–432.
- Das S, Srivastava VC. An overview of the synthesis of CuO-ZnO nanocomposite for environmental and other applications. Nanotechnology Reviews 7(3) (2018) 267-282.
- Patidar R, Srivastava VC. Understanding the ultrasound enhanced electrochemical oxidation of persistent organic pollutants. Journal of Water Process Engineering 37 (2020) 101378.
- Kumar P, Srivastava VC, Štangar UL, Mishra IM, Meng Y. Recent progress in dimethyl carbonate synthesis using different feedstock and techniques in the presence of heterogeneous catalysts. Catalysis Reviews Science and Engineering (2020) DOI: 10.1080/01614940.2019.1696609.
- Patidar R, Srivastava VC. Ultrasound-assisted enhanced electroxidation for mineralization of persistent organic pollutants: A review of electrodes, reactor configurations and kinetics. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology (2020) DOI: 10.1080/10643389.2020.1769427.