Prakash Biswas Professor email@example.com +91-1332-285820
Areas of Interest
- Design and synthesis of nanostructured materials as shape and size selective catalyst, for the conversion of CO2 and methane to hydrogen/synthesis gas, Synthesis of metal organic frameworks (MOFs) catalyst, for hydrogen production and CO2 capturing, DFT (density functional theory) calculations , for catalyst design, Conversion of CO2 , to methanol/olefins, Conversion of biomass derived oxygenates , to valuable chemicals and fuels, Kinetic modeling, for heterogeneous reaction, Green catalytic process, for environment
|2009-01-01||Assistant Professor||National Institute of Technology Rourkela|
|2009-01-01||6 years||Assistant Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2015-01-01||Ongoing||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2019-01-01||Ongoing||Liaison Officer for SC/ST||IIT Roorkee|
|2020-08-04||Ongoing||Liaison Officer for SC/ST||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
|2020-08-04||Ongoing||Associated Faculty Centre for Transportstion Systems (CTRANS), IIT Roorkee||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee|
|2015-01-01||Ongoing||Faculty in-charge, Instrumental analysis Laboratory||IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||Ongoing||Associated Factlty||Center of Excellence for Transportation System (CTRANS), Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2015-01-01||Ongoing||Faculty in-charge, UG Reaction Engineering Laboratory||IIT Roorkee|
|2009-01-01||Ongoing||Faculty in-charge, Engineering of Catalysis and chemical kinetics Laboratory||IIT Roorkee|
|2018-01-01||Ongoing||Member, Departmental administrative committee||IIT Roorkee|
|2018-01-01||Ongoing||Member, Departmental academic committee||IIT Roorkee|
|2014-01-01||1 year||Dy. Chief Advisor||Himalayan Explorers Club, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|2012-01-01||2 years||Staff advisor||Himalayan Explorer Club, IIT Roorkee|
|2015-01-01||Ongoing||Member, Departmental research committee||IIT Roorkee|
|2013-01-01||2 years||Warden||Govind Bhawan, IIT Roorkee|
|2015-01-01||3 years||Member, Departmental purchase committee||IIT Roorkee|
|B.Sc.||Chemistry Honours||University of Calcutta||1997|
|B.Tech.||Chemical Engineering||University of Calcutta||2000|
|M.Tech.||Chemical Engineering||IIT Kanpur||2002|
|PhD||Chemical Engineering||IIT Kanpur||2007|
|Post Doctoral Fellow||Catalysis and Chemical Reaction Engineering||University of Cincinnati Ohio USA||2009|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Topic||Funding Agency||Start Date||Period|
|Centre of Excellence in Process Development, Wastewater management in petrochemical Industries at II||Government of India, Ministry of Chemical And Fertilizers, Department of Chemicals and Petrochemical||2019-01||Ongoing|
|First-principle design, synthesis, and characterization of nickel-ceria-zirconia catalysts for metha||Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB) (File No. CRG/2018/002744), Department of Science & Te||2019-01||Ongoing|
Participation in seminars
|Registered participant in the SERC School on Modeling of Industrial Reactors".||I.I.T. Kanpur, Kanpur, India,||Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi.||2004-01|
|5th Summer School on Petroleum Refining & Petrochemicals||Indian Oil Institute of Petroleum Management, Gurgaon, India.||Indian Oil Institute of Petroleum Management||2010-01|
|Participated in the National Symposium on "Current Trends in Materials Characterization".||Advanced Center for Materials Science, IIT Kanpur, Kanpur, India.||Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi||2005-01|
- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE), Life Member (LM-43902)
- The Institution of Engineers (India), Life Member (M-147440-5)
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Reaction Engineering||CH 303||B.Tech & IDD 3rd Year||Autumn|
|Hydrocarbon Processing and Engineering-I||CH-551||IDD 4th Year||Autumn|
|Industrial Safety and Hazards Management||CH-515||IDD 4th Year||Autumn|
|Heterogeneous Catalysis & Reactor Design||CHN-564||M.Tech *B.Tech||Spring|
|Advanced Reaction Engineering||CHE 505||B.Tech., M.Tech., Ph.D.||Autumn|
|Chemical Technology||CHN-206||B.Tech. 2nd year||Spring|
|Transfer Processes-I||CH-206||B.Tech & IDD second year||Spring|
|Natural Gas Engineering||CH-556||IDD IV th year& M.Tech (IPA) 1st year||Spring|
|Communication Skill||CH-312||B.Tech & IDD 3rd Year||Spring|
|Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||CH-204||B.Tech & IDD second year||Spring|
|Chmical Enginering Lab-III||CH-310||B.Tech & IDD 3rd Year||Spring|
|Chemical Technology||CHN-206||B.Tech. 2nd year||Spring|
|Advanced Reaction Engineering||CHE-505||PG||Autumn|
|Reaction Engineering Laboratory||CHN-204||B.Tech. 2nd year||Spring|
|Process dynamics and Control Laboratory||CHN-303||B.Tech. 3rd year||Autumn|
|Mass transfer-II Laboratory||CHN-301||B.Tech. 3rd year||Autumn|
Research Scholar Groups
|Richa Tomer||Dehydration of glucose to 5-hydroxymethylfurfural|
|Akansha Pandey||Tri-reforming of methane|
|Mahendra Kumar Meena||Tri-reforming of methane|
|Pravin Kumar||Treatment of waste water generated in petrochemical industries|
|Soham Roy||Catalysis and Chemical Reaction Engineering|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Date|
|Hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over supported copper and nickel catalysts||Satyanarayana Murthi Pudi||O||2010-01|
|Vapor phase conversion of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over supported nanoparticle catalysts||Nitin Naresh Pandhare||O||2011-01|
|Development of Catalysts for Liquid Phase Conversion of Glycerol to propanediol||Smita Mondal||O||2014-01|
|Vapor phase hydrogenolysis of glycerol||Dinesh Kumar Pandey||O||2014-01|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA||Post Doctoral Research||2009-01-01|
|Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, MN, USA||AIChE Annual Meeting||2020-08-04|
|Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada,||Research collaboration.||2014-01-01|
|York University, Canada||Research Collaboration.||2014-01-01|
|As an external expert for the faculty Selection in the Department of Chemical Engineering, School of Engineering, Shiv Nadar University, Gautam Buddha Nagar, Uttar Pradesh – 201314, INDIA.||Shiv Nadar University||2020-08|
|As a selection committee member for the selection of PhD student under the sachem of Prime Ministers Research Fellowship (PMRF) at Indian Institute of Technology Gandhinagar , Palaj, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India – 382355||IIT Gandhinagar||2020-08|
|As an external expert for the faculty Selection at Indian Institute of Technology Mandi, Kamand Campus, VPO Kamand, Distt. Mandi - 175075 Himachal Pradesh, India||IIT Mnadi||2020-08|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Ammoxidation of propane over Mo-V-Nb-Te M1 phase catalyst||Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Calcutta, 92-APC Road, Kolkata-9, West Bengal, Ind||2010-01|
|Hydrogenation of 2-methylfuran, Furan over Supported noble and non-noble metal nanoparticle catalyst||IIChE, Kolkata, Jadavpur||2014-01|
|Conversion of Glycerol to Value Added Products over Supported Nanoparticle Catalyst||Jaipur, India||2014-01|
|Conversion of Biomass Derived Oxygenates to Value Added Chemicals over Nano-structured Catalysts||University of Saskatchewan, Canada||2014-01|
|Selective hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over a Copper-Zinc bi-metallic catalyst||Paris, France||2018-01|
|Heterogeneous Catalyst and its Application||Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Kolkata||2019-01|
|Byproducts of biodiesel plant waste (glycerol) to value added products||IIT Roorkee||2020-08|
Refereed Journal Papers
(a) In refereed International Journals
- Prakash Biswas and Deepak Kunzru* “Steam reforming of ethanol for the production of Hydrogen over Ni/CeO2-ZrO2 catalyst: Effect of Support and metal loading”, Internal Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 (2007) 969-980.
- Prakash Biswas and Deepak Kunzru*, “Steam reforming of ethanol on Ni-CeO2-ZrO2 catalysts: effects of doping with copper, cobalt, and calcium”, Catalysis Letters 118 (2007) 36-49.
- Prakash Biswas and Deepak Kunzru*, “Oxidative Steam Reforming of Ethanol over Ni/CeO2-ZrO2 catalyst”, Chemical Engineering Journal 136 (2008) 41-49.
- Prakash Biswas, Jungwon Woo, Vadim V.Guliants*, “Ruthenium and gold-doped M1 Phase MoVNbTeO Catalysts for propane ammoxidation to acrylonitrile”, Catalysis Communication, 12( 1)( 2010)58-63.
- Jiann-Horng Lin, Prakash Biswas, Vadim V. Guliants*, Scott Misture, Hydrogen production by water-gas shift reaction over bimetallic Cu-Ni catalysts supported on La-doped mesoporous ceria, Applied Catalysis A: General, 387 (1-2) (2010) 87-94.
- Vinay Kumar, Shishir Sinha*, Manohar Singh Saini, B K Kanungo and Prakash Biswas, “Rice Husk as Reinforcing Filler in Polypropylene Composites”, Reviews in Chemical Engineering 26 (1-2), (2010) 41-53.
- Prakash Biswas, Supriya Agrawal and Shishir Sinha*, “Modeling and Simulation for Pressure Swing Adsorption system for Hydrogen Purification”, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly 24 (4) 409–414 (2010).
- Vishnu P. Yadav, Sunil K. Maity*, Prakash Biswas, Raghubansha K. Singh, “ Kinetics of Esterification of Ethylene Glycol with Acetic Acid using Cation Exchange Resin Catalysts”, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 25 (3) 359–366 (2011).
- Shalini Biswas*, Prakash Biswas and Anil Kumar, Catalytic cracking of soybean oil with zirconium Complex chemically bonded to alumina support without hydrogen”, International Journal of Chemical Sciences and Applications, 3 (2) 306-313 ( 2012).
- Sweta, Shishir Sinha*, Prakash Biswas, Shri Chand, Mannar R. Maurya, Liquid phase oxidation of Styrene over Polymer Anchored and Non-Polymer Anchored Cu (II) and Mn (II) Complexes Catalysts, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 127 (5), (2013) 3424-3434.
- Satyanarayana Murthy Pudi, Tarak Mondal, Prakash Biswas*, Shalini Biswas and Shishir Sinha, “Conversion of glycerol into value-added products over Cu-Ni catalyst supported on γ-Al2O3 and activated carbon”, International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering 12(1) (2014)1–12.
- Prakash Biswas, Jiann-Horng Lin, Jungshik Kang, and Vadim V. Guliants*, “Vapor Phase Hydrogenation of 2-Methylfuran over Noble and Base Metal Catalysts”, Applied Catalysis A: General 475 (2014) 379–385.
- Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Abdul Zoeb, Prakash Biswas*, and Shashi Kumar “Liquid phase conversion of glycerol to propanediol over highly active copper/magnesia catalysts”, Journal of Chemical Science 127(5) (2015) 833–842.
- Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas*, Shashi Kumar, Biswajit Sarkar, “Selective hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-Propanediol over bimetallic Cu-Ni catalyst supported on γ-Al2O3”, Journal of Brazilian Chemical Society 26 (8) (2015)1551-1564.
- Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas*, Shashi Kumar, “Hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over highly active and stable Cu/MgO catalysts”, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology 91 (2016) 2063-2075.
- Sailee Anant Rane, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas*, “Esterification of glycerol with acetic acid over highly active and stable alumina-based catalysts: A reaction kinetic study”, Chemical & Biochemical Engineering Quarterly 30 (1) (2016) 33–45.
- Nitin Naresh Pandhare, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas*, Shishir Sinha, “Hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over γ-Al2O3 supported Cu or Ni monometallic and bimetallic catalysts: Comparison of liquid and vapor phase operation”, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers 61(2016) 90-96.
- Arun P, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, and Prakash Biswas*, Acetylation of glycerol over sulfated alumina: Reaction parameter study and optimization using response surface methodology (RSM)” Energy & Fuel 30 (2016) 584−593.
- Nitin Naresh Pandhare, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas* and Shishir Sinha, “Selective hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over highly active and stable Cu/MgO catalyst in vapor phase”, Organic Process Research & Development 20 (2016) 1059−1067.
- Smita Mondal, Al Ameen A, Prakash Biswas*, “Catalytic performance and reaction mechanism study over highly stable and efficient Cu-Zn/MgO catalyst for hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol”, Catalysis Letters 147 (2017) 2783–2798.
- Al Ameen A, Smita Mondal, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Nitin Naresh Pandhare and Prakash Biswas*, “Liquid Phase Hydrogenolysis of Glycerol over Highly Active 50%Cu-Zn (8:2)/MgO Catalyst: Reaction Parameter Optimization by Using Response Surface Methodology (RSM)”, Energy & Fuel, 31 (8) (2017) 8521–8533.
- Smita Mondal, Rathikanti Janardhan, Mohan Lal Meena, Prakash Biswas*, “Highly active Cu-Zn-Mg-Al-O catalyst derived from layered double hydroxides (LDHs) precursor for selective hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol”, Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering 5 (2017) 5695-5706.
- Arun Pankajakshan, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, and Prakash Biswas*, “Acetylation of glycerol over highly stable and active sulfated alumina catalyst: Reaction mechanism, kinetic modeling, and estimation of kinetic parameters” International Journal of Chemical Kinetics (2017). DOI:10.1002/kin.21144.
- Nitin Naresh Pandhare, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Smita Mondal, Keval Pareta, Manish Kumar, and Prakash Biswas*, “Development of a kinetic model for hydrogenolysis of glycerol over Cu/MgO catalyst in a slurry reactor”, Industrial Engineering & Chemistry Research 57 (2018) 101−110.
- Smita Mondal, Himanshu Malviya, and Prakash Biswas*, “Kinetic modeling for the hydrogenolysis of bio-glycerol in the presence of a highly selective Cu–Ni–Al2O3 catalyst in a slurry reactor”, Reaction Chemistry & Engineering 4 (2019) 595–609.
- Dinesh Kumar Pandey, Nitin Naresh Pandhare, Prakash Biswas*, “Production of propylene glycol (propane‑1, 2‑diol) in the vapor phase over Cu–Ni/γ‑Al2O3 catalyst in a downflow tubular reactor: effect of catalyst calcination temperature and kinetic study”, (2019) Reaction Kinetics, Mechanisms and Catalysis, 127(2019) 523–542.
- Dinesh Kumar Pandey and Prakash Biswas*, “Production of propylene glycol (1, 2-propanediol) by the hydrogenolysis of glycerol in a fixed bed down flow tubular reactor over highly effective Cu-Zn bifunctional catalyst: Effect of acidic/basic support” (2019) New Journal of Chemistry 43 (2019) 2019 10073-10086.
- Ram Singh, Prakash Biswas, Prateek K. Jha*, Density functional theory investigation of structure, stability, and glycerol/hydrogen adsorption on Cu, Cu-Zn, and Cu-ZnO clusters, First published: 06 April 2020, International Journal of Quantum Chemistry, https://doi.org/10.1002/qua.26239